[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Nov 7th 2018 edited

I figured this would be a decent thread to compile discussion into as it was derailing the other one quite a bit.

Favorite albums? Least favorite? Favorite wart? What's everyone's take on Sacrifice? I think it's one of the most muddy, generally un rock n roll album they've ever put on. A total chore to listen to.
    I'm not a super fan, but I do have some of their albums, mostly the early ones. And Inferno, I really like that one. Great live act, saw them a few times over the years.

I do have a funny story, a long time ago when I was a lot, lot younger I would come back home very tired and very late at night. I shared a room with my brother. Our procedure was to play the No Sleep vinyl and get to bed, I swear most of the time before Ace of Spades was over we were already snoring. By Stay Clean it was a done deal for sure. Never failed. I couldn't sleep otherwise, don't know why. I wish I could have told Lemmy his stuff put me to sleep :)

Or maybe I'm lucky I didn´t!
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Nov 7th 2018

It's the one band I really regret I haven't seen live – and The Ramones for that matter. They only ever played on big festivals near me in recent years and I never bothered to go to one of these. When they finally had a normal show scheduled here in Vienna I immediately got tix but then Lemmy died two months before the show should have happened.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Nov 7th 2018

So, I wonder when the new AC/DC album will be announced?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Nov 7th 2018

A great rock and roll band. Love albums throughout their catalogue. Most of the early stuff but also albums like Orgasmatron because it was the first one I bought at the time of release, 1916, Aftershocks etc. Just a fantastic band. Zero bullshit.

Good evening we are Motorhead and we play Rockn Roll!

Miss going to see them live, you never left a Motorhead gig disappointed always wanting more.
    •  
    • Nov 7th 2018

I am drinking. Give me a Motorhead noob-starter album to drink to.
    Try Motorhead Stage Fright live on YouTube.
    •  
    • Nov 7th 2018

I'd rather start with a studio album. I prefer live albums when I know all the tracks they're playing!
    Try Overkill
    •  
    • Nov 7th 2018

On it!
    I honestly don’t think they ever released a bad album. Sure some albums like March or Die and Snake Bite Love are a little weaker but they at least have some enjoyable songs on them that make the album worth having. Motörhead, AC/DC, and Judas Priest are the only 2 bands that truly honestly don’t think have ever released a bad album
    • Nov 7th 2018

It's true that they kept a pretty high quality even in their latter day album. A thing that not many bands, especially if they're around as long as Motörhead, can claim that. Whorehouse Blues is a favorite of mine. Lemmy was a brilliant lyricist and a great bloke.
    Always loved S/T not saying its their best by any means but I love it.
    No Remorse was my entry point...absolutely cracking compilation.
    Not all albums are great, but the kept a pretty hich class up until the end. I like the last one Bad Magic very much and also We Are Motorhead and 1916. The early albums are great but the later ones are way too overlooked. I like the songs that are a bit different, Walk A Crooked Mile for example. Lemmy was a really great lyricist. Often with a really liberal humanitarian message (belive it or not) but never without irony and humour.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Nov 7th 2018

Posted By: DustDevilJust a fantastic band. Zero bullshit

Could have stopped right there I guess. It's one of those bands that make you feel like punching through a concrete wall while listening. And go total GONZANIA while attending a show. Apart from all the classics Inferno really does it for me.

I'll just leave this here. Fucking best opener they ever had. Attitude. Grit. Rock'n'Roll.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: satansole
    • Nov 7th 2018 edited

Saw them 9 times here in Brazil and had the pleasure to meet the guys in 2009.
    Me and Lemmy
    •  
    • Nov 7th 2018

I tried.

Meh.
    • Nov 7th 2018

Posted By: Jet1984
    Fucking best opener they ever had. Attitude. Grit. Rock'n'Roll.

Fucking killer!
    I want to like them but I can't get into the vocals. Does anyone else have the same problem?
    Posted By: DustDevilI tried.

Meh.

If none of these work, the band just wasn't meant for you.
    Also, yes.

I'm gonna cop A LOT of shit, but lemmy is the best lyricist in rock and metal. Bon and Brian are amazing, and AC/DC will always be my favorite band of all time, but you'll never see them stuff like what Lemmy has. The man was incredibly well read, very verbose. Easily one of my favorite parts about the band. Down on Me is probably one of the most heart felt songs Lem has ever written and is undoubtedly top 10 Motorhead for me.
    AC/DC and Motörhead are the two best bands of all time for me.

Five albums i love:

Ace of spades
    Iron fist
    Another perfect day (probably my favourite these days)
    Inferno

Favourite gig. Probably when they visited my rather small hometown in Sweden. They played in a school gymnasium. Hilarious days!
    The vocals were a big plus for me when I got into them about three weeks ago. What I love most about Motorhead is the fact that, at least for their earlier stuff, it's not dark and strange such as with a lot of 80's metal bands (and I will argue til I die that Black Sabbath is still more rock than what we consider metal today), but that Motorhead was just playing really fucking loud and really fucking fast rock n roll. I don't care for the vocals of people such as Dio (although he's got undeniable talent), but Lemmy just felt so damn true. There's something about his voice that's like "here's the facts, I'm not fucking with you, now piss off."

Also, it's just badass.

Posted By: DustDevilI tried.

Meh.
    I'd give at least 2 or 3 songs another go. After that, don't worry about it. My particular favorite is Stay Clean, or maybe it's Capricorn, or maybe the title track...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 8th 2018

They have always fascinated me. A true original R&R band with a legendaty status and band logo. Lemmy is/was an icon and inspirator for many.

They have this same status aparte that ac/dc has and therefor are timeless and seperated from the rest of the rock genre

Music wise i lean more to the casual side. Overkill, Iron Fist, Motorhead, Bomber, Killed by Death are my house favorites.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Nov 8th 2018

Awesome band.

Overkill is my favourite song and album.

First gig Bomber tour, last was Hyde Park a few years back.
    Just so genuine.
    • AC/DC rock music: acdc1988
    • Nov 8th 2018

As i've already mentioned in the wrong thread (obviously escaping narrowly a 16th century torture and punishment for that...), Motörhead is the only band
    that comes to my mind, releasing more than 20 albums and no bad one among them. Hard to tell which are my favourite albums, probably something like Ace Of Spades, Orgasmatron, 1916, Inferno...
    2nd to AC/DC. Great band lemny is greatly missed.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Belford74
    • Nov 8th 2018

After the Glasgow Apollo gig in 83 the band came out from backstage and sat in the stalls for half an hour chatting to everyone and signing autographs.... never forgotten how cool Lemmy was. A true gentleman.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: satansole
    • Nov 8th 2018

Posted By: Belford74After the Glasgow Apollo gig in 83 the band came out from backstage and sat in the stalls for half an hour chatting to everyone and signing autographs.... never forgotten how cool Lemmy was. A true gentleman.

Indeed!
    •  
    • Nov 8th 2018

Posted By: Alex LebanonAlways loved S/T not saying its their best by any means but I love it.
    No Remorse was my entry point...absolutely cracking compilation.

I lusted after No Remorse in the local record shop of my youth. The vinyl set in the 'leather' sleeve just looked so fucking cool.

Never seen so many of my favorite legends in one photograph before (aside from any photograph of all of ACDC pre 2016)
    Lemmy gave me permanent tinnitus (it’s actually really bad, no joke). And I’m not even annoyed lol.
    I really dig the Fast Eddie years for the pure rock n roll. Fast Eddie was a one-demensional guitarist with riffs and all his solos sound the same to me but the band has a great rock n roll feel.

Another Perfect Day has some exceptionally melodic songs — while still retaining the Motorhead grit and spirit — and some of the best soloing ever in heavy rock. I hate the lack of bottom end and warmth in the production.

Orgasmatron is quite good too.

As Alex pointed out, No Remorse is a fantastic compilation — perhaps my all time fave.

I liked 1916 and Rock N Roll but the 90s output and onwards lost me. I felt it got much more metallic "chuggy" and less about the old time rock riffs like No Class, etc. Still good stuff, I suppose, i but a different beast.

Ironically, that's the same objection the die-hard 70s AC/DC fans level against the Johnson era (and I a huge fan of the early 80s AC/DC).

Motorhead IS heavy rock and roll. When it gets metal, it's not the same.

Fantastic song with both swing and cynicism.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Belford74
    • Nov 9th 2018

Posted By: tomscotlandLemmy gave me permanent tinnitus (it’s actually really bad, no joke). And I’m not even annoyed lol.
    A scar of honour!
    •  
    • Nov 9th 2018

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoI really dig the Fast Eddie years for the pure rock n roll. Fast Eddie was a one-demensional guitarist with riffs and all his solos sound the same to me but the band has a great rock n roll feel.

Another Perfect Day has some exceptionally melodic songs — while still retaining the Motorhead grit and spirit — and some of the best soloing ever in heavy rock. I hate the lack of bottom end and warmth in the production.

Orgasmatron is quite good too.

As Alex pointed out, No Remorse is a fantastic compilation — perhaps my all time fave.

I liked 1916 and Rock N Roll but the 90s output and onwards lost me. I felt it got much more metallic "chuggy" and less about the old time rock riffs like No Class, etc. Still good stuff, I suppose, i but a different beast.

Ironically, that's the same objection the die-hard 70s AC/DC fans level against the Johnson era (and I a huge fan of the early 80s AC/DC).

Motorhead IS heavy rock and roll. When it gets metal, it's not the same.

Agree with that. I prefer the rock and roll as well.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 9th 2018

Indeed. No Class is pure R&R indeed. Although it's of course a pure rip off of Tush.
    But that also explaines the love for the more R&R side of Motorhead.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Nov 9th 2018 edited

Despite having seen the end coming for a few years, I was distraught when I woke to find Lemmy had died.

I'm a big fuck, not prone to blubbing over anything that doesn't involve my kids, but I was in bits that day

Odd thing happened too. Some part of my musical interest just kinda gave up. Stupid I know but I stopped coming on here and other music forums, I've been to far fewer gigs these past few of years, and I don't sit in my little room listening to music like I used to. It's like a part of my enthusiasm and love of it all died that day too. Call me a soft cunt but there you are.

Best lp? Overkill but it's a close run thing with a dozen or more others. I saw them plenty down the years and they were always amazing live from gig 1 in 1983 to my final gig at Wembley Arena in 2014. Be it headlining a tiny venue or supporting at a huge festival, they played with honesty and always "cleaned your clock".

Lemmy always said it would never quite be the same without him and he sure wasn't wrong.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Nov 9th 2018 edited

On a similar note to that Pod.

The day Lemmy died, I was out on a date with my neighbor while she was back from college. We ended up talking about being born at the time we were, and having an interest in older music from 2+ decades before us, most of our biggest influences will past before we’re even 25-30.

2 hours later on the way home, I saw the post on Facebook about Lemmy and felt gutted, albeit with a pretty grim giggle to be had given the conversation right before it.

Fast forward to now with Lemmy, George and Malcolm all gone (my three main heroes), and what’s left of DC still kicking, music has definitely gotten a little bleaker since most of the newer stuff I like and found are from the 2000s from bands that have departed from the sound they had.

Even a band like The Front Bottoms (which I know absolutely no one on here will but it’s a huge guilty pleasure for me due to my crowd and hometown) who are fairly new and took off with their own sound changed things up a bit outside of what I came to know them for.

There’s a real sense of integrity that’s lost with guys like Lemmy.
    Posted By: SpellboundAlso, yes.

I'm gonna cop A LOT of shit, but lemmy is the best lyricist in rock and metal. Bon and Brian are amazing, and AC/DC will always be my favorite band of all time, but you'll never see them stuff like what Lemmy has. The man was incredibly well read, very verbose. Easily one of my favorite parts about the band. Down on Me is probably one of the most heart felt songs Lem has ever written and is undoubtedly top 10 Motorhead for me.

No way is he the best, he's definitely the most under-rated. Caustic and funny, frequently at the same time. And I much prefer the way his passion for military history comes over in his lyrics compared with someone like Iron Maiden where it always feels like a history lesson.
    Who would say is the best?
    To all of you that have recommended Another Perfect Day:

Thank you. Thank you so fucking much.
    Another Perfect Day is great.

So anyway, because of this thread I started looking through my boxes and found Overnight Sensation (1996). I remember some people bashing this album for some weird reason, too comercial, too catchy, no logo (!), but I believe it sounds as Motorhead as anything else. Again, I'm not a super fan so I wouldn't know.

So I gave it a spin and having in mind all the chat about how Lemmy was a great lyricist, I found I really like this track that I had totally forgotten it existed:

A little bit different, great lyrics, and I especially like how Lemmy sings this one. It kinda reminds me of Stiff Upper Lip when Brian starts the song with his deep voice before jumping into the LIKE A DOG IN A...!!!!!!!!!!!

Not Motorhead's best song I guess, but it's cool, it gets into your head after a couple listenings.
    Another Perfect Day is up there with Ace of Spades and Overkill as far as I’m concerned. All time favorite album cover with some killer fucking cuts.

@BT: Over ight Sensation is a great album too. I didn’t know it copped any criticism - songs like I don’t believe a word, the title track, and Shake the World are too good to shit on.

Love Can’t Buy You Money is probably one of the filthiest songs I’ve ever listened to. I feel like I need a shower and an STD check when it comes on.
    Posted By: SpellboundWho would say is the best?

An obvious and unoriginal choice, but IMHO Dylan is way way out front of any other lyricist. Side Two of BIABH is the zenith – he’s really in the ring with the big guys at the point, your TS Eliots and Ezra Pound’s. If you want to make the case popular culture and high art are not mutually exclusive, It’s Alright Ma & Gates of Eden are two big guns in the arsenal. After that I think there’s a few people vying for the number two slot – Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Jim Morrison, Springsteen and – probably showing some healthy bias – maybe Bon, too.

I agree with you about APD, too, its in my top five for sure. Different but still great.
    Posted By: PodDespite having seen the end coming for a few years, I was distraught when I woke to find Lemmy had died.

I'm a big fuck, not prone to blubbing over anything that doesn't involve my kids, but I was in bits that day

Odd thing happened too. Some part of my musical interest just kinda gave up. Stupid I know but I stopped coming on here and other music forums, I've been to far fewer gigs these past few of years, and I don't sit in my little room listening to music like I used to. It's like a part of my enthusiasm and love of it all died that day too. Call me a soft cunt but there you are.

Best lp? Overkill but it's a close run thing with a dozen or more others. I saw them plenty down the years and they were always amazing live from gig 1 in 1983 to my final gig at Wembley Arena in 2014. Be it headlining a tiny venue or supporting at a huge festival, they played with honesty and always "cleaned your clock".

Lemmy always said it would never quite be the same without him and he sure wasn't wrong.

Always associate Motorhead with you, Pod, you suggested I purchase No Remorse back in early 2016 and I never looked back - cheers!
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinTo all of you that have recommended Another Perfect Day:

Yep. Robertson was a bloody good guitarist and sounds perfect in there. I know Lemmy couldn´t stand Robertson´s stage outfits later on though. What was it? Tight short shorts?
    Posted By: Wholelottatobe
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinTo all of you that have recommended Another Perfect Day:

Yep. Robertson was a bloody good guitarist and sounds perfect in there. I know Lemmy couldn´t stand Robertson´s stage outfits later on though. What was it? Tight short shorts?
    The style is different than Fast Eddies', but I think it actually fits with Motorheads already established way of playing. It's a nice and different touch, but it doesn't ruin the integrity of the music whatsoever.