To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

The mods can remove this, but with the og speculation thread nearing 100 pages, I thought it was wise to make a PTII thread so that the mods can close the first thread and archive it before it all gets deleted. Basically carry on the speculation talk here.

STAY FUCKIN CALM
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: acadacauk
    • Oct 19th 2018

you know what they say, "no news is good news".
    A thing that is bugging me is what the relationship is with Brian and Angus now if any of that "thrown to the kerb" stuff was in any way true. Was there a massive fallout? Muse performance at Glastonbury "Fuck em' all!" etc Of the few pics leaked at the studio there were non of Brian and Angus together.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Oct 19th 2018

Perhaps with time Angus reflected on things and then they just sort of naturally came together again at Mal's funeral.

Angus did seem weird when all that stuff went down, but he must have been under a ton of pressure, huge decisions with hardly any time.

I think by the fact they were all together in Vancouver one can assume everything's great between them again - they must have made some pretty clear agreements on everything for it to even happen.
    Good point 900
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Oct 19th 2018

Posted By: 900Perhaps with time Angus reflected on things and then they just sort of naturally came together again at Mal's funeral.

If there really was a fallout between Angus and Brian, this would be what most likely happened.
    This drove me into thinking that Angus may have pitched Cliff to rejoin the band at the funeral too. Perhaps the conflict between Angus and Brian as well as Phil's problems was the reason behind Cliff's retirement (in addition to Malcolm's illness of course) and him calling otherwise tight-knit and low-key AC/DC a "changed animal". If so, having Brian back and Phil free of his issues, why shouldn't Cliff want to come back and honor Mal with one last album?
    This is purely a speculation, something that just sprung to my mind reading previous comments
    Yeah Starsky. Life is too short to fall out with folk when your at an age when you should know well enough.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Oct 19th 2018 edited

Losing George, and then Malcolm immediately after, was most likely an incredibly humbling experience.

The Young's might be emotionally bulletproof - but there has got to be something drastically eye opening about losing your two biggest partners, brothers, and friends back to back after 40 years of looking out for each other. Hence why we're getting what we are. I'm sure Angus began looking inward once he realized that at his age, life is way too short to be the grudge-master extraordinaries he and the Youngs tended to be.
    I think there is no doubt that Brian and Angus had disagreements about touring. Even around the BI period Brian already said in interviews that he didn't really want to do a large-scale tour again. Whereas Angus always seemed to want to tour as much as possible. Also I read somewhere (cant remember where) that the 2 day gaps on the ROB tour were purely to suit Brian, and Angus wasn't too happy about it. No idea if it's true but it would make sense considering all the previous. Whether or not they truly don't like each other though, and if Brian's leaving had something to do with that, is anyone's guess. I sure hope that isn't the case. It was good to see them reunited on Mal's funeral (although of course very sad circumstances) and really good to see them back in the studio again.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Oct 19th 2018

So curious on what it's gonna happen
    Next move likely to be a video shoot invitation to fans if following usual pattern
    Posted By: carolinareaperNext move likely to be a video shoot invitation to fans if following usual pattern

Well first I’d say they’re gonna announce the album, it’s title, the number of tracks etc. and possibly even drop a single shortly thereafter.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Oct 19th 2018

some random thoughts that run through my head:

- If the funeral was a moment of self reflection for Angus and he changed his mind, isn't a bit late (almost a year after Mal's funeral) to correlate this to the current collaboration? I would have expected that the momentum that was present just after the funeral would be used much sooner

- If Angus is still fond of touring and Brian is supposed to be the blocking factor in that, it either means this current thing is relatively small; just a symbolic thing for Mal without touring OR Brian has found a way to do some sort of touring without further taking the risk of going deaf and the output from Vancouver will a form of touring.

- Angus also is in the late fase of his career and he probably doesn't want to waste time. A small Vancouver thing will probaly be followed by an Axl-Angus collaboration in 2019. A bigger thing after Vancouver will probaly mean the end of an AXL/DC future

- Would Cliff realy give up retirement to go touring again? He had the idea to retire after the RoB tour already before the start of the tour.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Oct 19th 2018

Posted By: rideon77So curious on what it's gonna happen

Something wonderful is going to happen.

Yours,

Dave Bowman.
    Posted By: ThankassIf the funeral was a moment of self reflection for Angus and he changed his mind, isn't a bit late (almost a year after Mal's funeral) to correlate this to the current collaboration? I would have expected that the momentum that was present just after the funeral would be used much sooner

40 years is a long time together. Malcolm may have mentally gone years ago, but it's a different thing when you still get to see him alive despite the condition. It's another thing when the realization comes that you will never see him again. I imagine there's a good bit of grieving that has gone on that we will never know or hear about.
    Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: ThankassIf the funeral was a moment of self reflection for Angus and he changed his mind, isn't a bit late (almost a year after Mal's funeral) to correlate this to the current collaboration? I would have expected that the momentum that was present just after the funeral would be used much sooner

40 years is a long time together. Malcolm may have mentally gone years ago, but it's a different thing when you still get to see him alive despite the condition. It's another thing when the realization comes that you will never see him again. I imagine there's a good bit of grieving that has gone on that we will never know or hear about.

I feel like this project could very much still be built on the momentum that Mal's (and George's) passing created. Who knows for how long the boys have had the idea to regroup in the studio and for how long they've been kicking around ideas prior to Vancouver. Most likely Vancouver didn't happen until they fully knew what they wanted to do.

@Spellbound Weren't they together for more like 60 years or so, given the fact that Mal and Angus were brothers who grew up together? I would guess their bond would be even greater since they spent all their formative years side-by-side. Ever since it happened, I've always wondered how much Mal's death was already something Angus, the family and the band were prepared for, given his ever-declining health. Not that it would've made the loss any less than it was but it does beg the question whether there was some sort of plan already ahead of time to create an album that would be a tribute to Mal.

Somehow when the news of Mal's death broke it didn't really shock me much at all. It was very sad but not really shocking. George's on the other hand was far more jarring, surprising and took me off guard (maybe because any health issues were unknown to the public). Did others feel like this too?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Oct 19th 2018 edited

Posted By: IronPatriotWeren't they together for more like 60 years or so, given the fact that Mal and Angus were brothers who grew up together? I would guess their bond would be even greater since they spent all their formative years side-by-side. Ever since it happened, I've always wondered how much Mal's death was already something Angus, the family and the band were prepared for, given his ever-declining health. Not that it would've made the loss any less than it was but it does beg the question whether there was some sort of plan already ahead of time to create an album that would be a tribute to Mal.

I reckon it was a little different once they formed the band, considering that they wouldn't even let each other in their rooms growing up. Angus had his own clique before AC/DC that Malcolm had no part of IIRC. Even their dad thought they wouldn't last more than a week or so together.
    • AC/DC rock music: CWT1965
    • Oct 19th 2018

Even if Angus and Brian have not made up, hopefully they have, there is no reason why they can’t work together still

Lennon and McCartney, Parfitt and Rossi, Jagger and Richards, Waters and Gilmour, Daltrey and Townsend, all couldn’t stand each other but work/worked together so you don’t have to be best friends with your band colleagues to work together
    • Oct 19th 2018

For sure the recorded something, we'll see what. I thought at this time we would have known something
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Oct 19th 2018

Posted By: rideon77For sure the recorded something, we'll see what. I thought at this time we would have known something

Why would we know something by now? They were into the studio for RoB in June 2014 and we only heard something mid-late September 2014. This year they went into the studio at the end of July. I have explained this to you before but you never seem to take it in.
    Just think if they hadn't been spotted we'd be non the wiser and still going on about Axl
    Posted By: IronPatriotWeren't they together for more like 60 years or so, given the fact that Mal and Angus were brothers who grew up together? I would guess their bond would be even greater since they spent all their formative years side-by-side. Ever since it happened, I've always wondered how much Mal's death was already something Angus, the family and the band were prepared for, given his ever-declining health. Not that it would've made the loss any less than it was but it does beg the question whether there was some sort of plan already ahead of time to create an album that would be a tribute to Mal.

I reckon it was a little different once they formed the band, considering that they wouldn't even let each other in their rooms growing up. Angus had his own clique before AC/DC that Malcolm had no part of IIRC. Even their dad thought they wouldn't last more than a week or so together.

I had no idea. Wow. But I mean isn't that how many kids act? At the end of the day they were still brothers and that bond is something that goes deeper than whatever cliques they were in or even if they "got along" or not. I mean isn't especially the Young family terribly supportive and protective of its members? Isn't that one of the Youngs' hallmarks?
    Posted By: benji
    Posted By: rideon77For sure the recorded something, we'll see what. I thought at this time we would have known something

Why would we know something by now? They were into the studio for RoB in June 2014 and we only heard something mid-late September 2014. This year they went into the studio at the end of July. I have explained this to you before but you never seem to take it in.

If I had to make a guess, I would suppose people here are seriously hoping for a Christmas release (though it does seem quite unlikely based on prior release schedules). If you backtrack from there, it's not the most crazy thing to have expected something by now.
    Posted By: IronPatriot

I had no idea. Wow. But I mean isn't that how many kids act? At the end of the day they were still brothers and that bond is something that goes deeper than whatever cliques they were in or even if they "got along" or not. I mean isn't especially the Young family terribly supportive and protective of its members? Isn't that one of the Youngs' hallmarks?

Well that’s what I’m getting at. The real bond probably didn’t start until they grew up a bit. Maturity etc etc.
    I highly doubt that Brian and Angus have a "grudge" of any kind. Brian, while disappointed at his being cast aside for the end of the tour, was still asked to come back at the end of the day and I'm sure he was very happy to know that Angus considers him a crucial part of the band and (probably) his new closest business partner/friend if that spot isn't held by Phil or Cliff.

If Angus considered ACDC nothing more than a business, he wouldn't have asked his longtime friends and business partners to come back after they all had good reason to leave. I think that Mal's passing had an affect on Angus, one that we haven't seen before, and I'm very fucking glad.

I have no problem with Angus doing something with Axl in the future, but it most certainly won't be "ACDC". He realizes that, and that's why he got the real ACDC back together.
    Lots of questions for these guys when\if they do any promotion - though expect the usual crap questions about the school uniform and what it was like to replace Bon.
    Posted By: carolinareaperLots of questions for these guys when\if they do any promotion - though expect the usual crap questions about the school uniform and what it was like to replace Bon.
    I find that many rock interviews are the same questions over and over, but oh well...

"So, Ozzy, did you really bite the head off of a bat?"
    "I'llbiteyourfuckingheadoffifIgetaskedthatfuckin'
    questiononemorefuckingtime"
    • Oct 19th 2018

That Reddit post from a supposed friend of Brian’s said that Brian didn’t know who would be doing bass on the album, if that is true then it suggests that Cliff was not in Vancouver which would be very strange with his good mate Brian back in the band and the classic line up plus Stevie doing a tribute album to Malcolm, surely Cliff would have been up for that
    Posted By: CWT1965That Reddit post from a supposed friend of Brian’s said that Brian didn’t know who would be doing bass on the album, if that is true then it suggests that Cliff was not in Vancouver which would be very strange with his good mate Brian back in the band and the classic line up plus Stevie doing a tribute album to Malcolm, surely Cliff would have been up for that
    It said that the guy who talked to Brian didn't find out who was playing on bass. I'm pretty sure Brian would know.
    • Oct 19th 2018

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: CWT1965That Reddit post from a supposed friend of Brian’s said that Brian didn’t know who would be doing bass on the album, if that is true then it suggests that Cliff was not in Vancouver which would be very strange with his good mate Brian back in the band and the classic line up plus Stevie doing a tribute album to Malcolm, surely Cliff would have been up for that
    It said that the guy who talked to Brian didn't find out who was playing on bass. I'm pretty sure Brian would know.

With pics of the other 4 in circulation one would have thought that Cliff’s situation would be near enough the first question that would be asked to Brian, certainly would have been mine
    Posted By: CWT1965

With pics of the other 4 in circulation one would have thought that Cliff’s situation would be near enough the first question that would be asked to Brian, certainly would have been mine
    True, but I can't speak for the guy, I'm just going off what the message said.
    • Oct 19th 2018

Posted By: CWT1965

True, but I can't speak for the guy, I'm just going off what the message said.

Its the main unanswered question

Have read everything from Cliff being there with short hair to Stevie on bass to Brendan O’Brien on bass, we will soon find out I guess
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Oct 19th 2018

Posted By: 900Perhaps with time Angus reflected on things and then they just sort of naturally came together again at Mal's funeral.

Angus did seem weird when all that stuff went down, but he must have been under a ton of pressure, huge decisions with hardly any time.

I think by the fact they were all together in Vancouver one can assume everything's great between them again - they must have made some pretty clear agreements on everything for it to even happen.

What happened to the narrative that things were never great between them, i.e. that they were never really friends in the first place, just colleagues?

It's always bothered me that in the wake of Brian's initial departure from the band, there was a move to make Angus the villain of the piece, based solely on second hand accounts or inference. And the reason why that bothered me was because, yes, Angus was under huge pressure at the time. More than we probably know, in fact, but still a lot of people jumped on his back, stitching together this account that Angus and Brian had a somewhat cold relationship (not something that was suggested much before the news of the departure, mind you), and Angus callously discarded Brian.

My feeling is a lot of the chatter on here in the last two years regarding Brian and AC/DC has been a saga of our own invention in lieu of much concrete news, sort of like the spots and shapes you see in the absence of any light. Brian and Angus's relationship probably has a little more depth, feeling and nuance to it, forged out of nearly 40 years going up and down roads together, than we can really appreciate.
    This could, and I am hoping, be the best since FOTS. A fitting tribute to the best right hand in the business
    • Oct 20th 2018

Disliking of Chris by Brian? When???
    • AC/DC rock music: BrianGod
    • Oct 20th 2018

Brian will be back in black!!!!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Oct 20th 2018

Please do not discuss the deleted topic from this thread.
    Posted By: JemPlease do not discuss the deleted topic from this thread.
    exactly, mine is deleted, except Rocco's response.
    The tuning down hasn't been done with Bon. Mutt Lange pitched a few songs on HtH a few percentage down, but they never tuned their instruemnts half a step down.
    It doesn't wonder me, it just sounds awful as me playing guitar. Listen to Rosie in Buenos Aires or StT intro in Gis instead of A. It just ain't right.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Oct 20th 2018 edited

Posted By: Barrebartje
    The tuning down hasn't been done with Bon. Mutt Lange pitched a few songs on HtH a few percentage down, but they never tuned their instruemnts half a step down.
    It doesn't wonder me, it just sounds awful as me playing guitar. Listen to Rosie in Buenos Aires or StT intro in Gis instead of A. It just ain't right.

Don’t talk shit. They did it all the time with Bon. Gimme A Bullet is a studio example, and here’s a live example:

Posted By: benji
    Posted By: Barrebartje

Don’t talk shit. They did it all the time with Bon. Gimme A Bullet is a studio example, and here’s a live example:

Yep!
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinI highly doubt that Brian and Angus have a "grudge" of any kind. Brian, while disappointed at his being cast aside for the end of the tour, was still asked to come back at the end of the day and I'm sure he was very happy to know that Angus considers him a crucial part of the band and (probably) his new closest business partner/friend if that spot isn't held by Phil or Cliff.

If Angus considered ACDC nothing more than a business, he wouldn't have asked his longtime friends and business partners to come back after they all had good reason to leave. I think that Mal's passing had an affect on Angus, one that we haven't seen before, and I'm very fucking glad.

I have no problem with Angus doing something with Axl in the future, but it most certainly won't be "ACDC". He realizes that, and that's why he got the real ACDC back together.

There might have been something going on. But come on. Can´t see Brian in a grudge with anyone.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Oct 20th 2018

There are instances where they tuned down a full step or, based on quality of bootlegs, sounds like even further with Bon. Depended on the hour. Silly to suggest other wise.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Oct 20th 2018

Let’s keep this civil please. We are all capable of disagreeing without losing our heads.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Oct 21st 2018 edited

If they wouldn't have tuned down half a step on the BI tour, Brian would have killed himself. SUL tour in standard was already a challenge for Brian. It's all logical after 35 years of screaming and getting older.
    Posted By: ThankassIf they wouldn't have tuned down half a step on the BI tour, Brian would have killed him self. SUL tour in standard was already a challenge for Brian. It's all logical after 35 years of screaming and getting older.

Agree
    Posted By: ThankassIf they wouldn't have tuned down half a step on the BI tour, Brian would have killed himself. SUL tour in standard was already a challenge for Brian. It's all logical after 35 years of screaming and getting older.

Yep. Sanity prevails. This makes perfect sense. Well said.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Oct 21st 2018

“The standard tuning speculation thread part 2”
    Posted By: Starsky

If there really was a fallout between Angus and Brian, this would be what most likely happened.
    This drove me into thinking that Angus may have pitched Cliff to rejoin the band at the funeral too. Perhaps the conflict between Angus and Brian as well as Phil's problems was the reason behind Cliff's retirement (in addition to Malcolm's illness of course) and him calling otherwise tight-knit and low-key AC/DC a "changed animal". If so, having Brian back and Phil free of his issues, why shouldn't Cliff want to come back and honor Mal with one last album?
    This is purely a speculation, something that just sprung to my mind reading previous comments

I was never a believer in angus and brian falling out. However if this is true, that would seem the most believable reason for cliff to return from retirement
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Oct 21st 2018

Posted By: Brads AC/DC
    Posted By: ThankassIf they wouldn't have tuned down half a step on the BI tour, Brian would have killed himself. SUL tour in standard was already a challenge for Brian. It's all logical after 35 years of screaming and getting older.

Yep. Sanity prevails. This makes perfect sense. Well said.

and it made it easier for aging audience members to sing along :)
    • AC/DC rock music: Gavin82
    • Oct 22nd 2018

https://g1.globo.com...

About 4 months ago it was talked about too hire ACDC with Axl but plans have not advanced since for Rock in Rio 2019 now this could just before the Vancouver thing