To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Pretty cool story shared from someone on my facebook feed.The accidental creation of that cool purple and green LTBR pressing. Always dug the look even if it is a wild mispress.

https://needlesfromt...

Figured some of you here would enjoy this!
    Yep very true nitro.. Well done
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Feb 6th 2017

Nice share nitro, cheers. Got my grubby mitts on a copy of this last year.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Feb 6th 2017 edited

That awesome! Never heard that before. Thanks.

I got my copy back when I had to send faxes back and forth to a girl (Karen?) in South Africa who would advertise local records in Goldmine. Not quite as easy as the eBay and Paypal route, but it was really cool when things worked out.

That's always been one of my favorite collectibles.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Feb 6th 2017

Good read. Thanx for sharing.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Singha
    • Feb 6th 2017

Thanks for reading this,nice story about the cover print for this record.
    • AC/DC rock music: mkberg
    • Feb 6th 2017 edited

Hmm... According to most collector sites the green/purple cover was a re-release pressed in 1980, but this guy's story contradicts that theory.
    •  
    • Feb 6th 2017

Posted By: mkbergHmm... According to most collector sites the green/purple cover was a re-release pressed in 1980, but this guy's story contradicts that theory.

You'd think if it was a repress three years later, there would be some sort of notation of 1980 somewhere on the record or sleeve, but I don't see one.
    •  
    • Feb 6th 2017

I love this about the South African releases.

• AC/DC rock music: GShootin
    • Feb 6th 2017

Great stuff
    I literally just passed up on one. I was offered two records and I could only buy one - I went with a copy of "Angus Hanger" as I've seen zero copies of this for sale recently but I've seen 2 or 3 SA LTBR's...
    • AC/DC rock music: mkberg
    • Feb 6th 2017

How much did you pay for the Angus Hanger? I think one went in the summer last year for around £50.
    Posted By: mkbergHow much did you pay for the Angus Hanger? I think one went in the summer last year for around £50.

bit more than that!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Feb 10th 2017

Good find Nitro!
    • AC/DC rock music: Corgs
    • Feb 10th 2017

Interesting although these green logo ones are all date stamped from 1980, 81, and 82.
    •  
    • Feb 10th 2017

Posted By: CorgsInteresting although these green logo ones are all date stamped from 1980, 81, and 82.

Where would it be stamped? I could not find a date other than 1977 on my copy.
    • Feb 10th 2017 edited

Mine is stamped on the back underneath Angus's pick guard will be imprinted (Pressed) into the cover
    •  
    • Feb 10th 2017 edited

Posted By: CorgsMine is stamped on the back underneath Angus's pick guard will be imprinted (Pressed) into the cover

Well, what do ya know, you are correct! Very interesting. Mine says 23 7 82 5 (or a 6)

very nice
    • Feb 10th 2017

Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: CorgsMine is stamped on the back underneath Angus's pick guard will be imprinted (Pressed) into the cover

Well, what do ya know, you are correct! Very interesting. Mine say 23 7 82 5 (or a 6)

• Feb 10th 2017

Mine is stamped year as 81 although lots of people say only 80 and 82 exist.
    •  
    • Feb 10th 2017

Is it really a date stamp?
    • Feb 10th 2017

Apparently yes your number represents print date 23 July 1982, (23 7 82) not sure what the last number is for nobody can tell me?, I researched when i bought mine to ensure it was real deal and this is what I was told from an "Expert", So i assume it is correct.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: tomscotland
    • Feb 10th 2017 edited

I've still to track one of these down, but I'll find one...
    •  
    • Feb 11th 2017

From Benjy (via Jon). I had asked him to elaborate on our discussion.

Hi Jon,
    Interesting. Coincidentally I was contacted by another AC/DC fan/collector on the same question. I have given it some serious thought. It would appear from the comments that a misprint pressing went out in the early `80s although I don`t recall it. The comments about date stamps are also intriguing as, upon checking other WEA pressings by other artists from the early `80s, they do not reveal date stamps. I`m not saying that they don’t exist on the AC/DC records but it`s quite strange that they seem to be isolated.

However I stand by my vivid recollection about the initial pressing- and the simple reason for that is, I was there and got into shit for it-and trust me when you got shat out by Richard Sassoon you remembered it ! Incidentally he had left the company by 1979 so he wouldn’t have been around when this `second` misprint was released.

Cheers
    Benjy
    •  
    • Feb 11th 2017 edited

Thanks for that Inferno (and thanks to Benjy and Jon for this article and follow up)

I'm really not convinced these are date stamps. I checked mine and it has '12 3 8'
    (it *might* be 12 3 8(2) (5) but the 2 and 5, if there, are really faint and I might just be trying to see something that's not there).

I have also seen a copy with X X 84 XX, which destroys any suggestion there was a 1980 batch and then another batch in 1982.

And I've never seen two identical numbers, which you'd expect to see if they were tied to some manufacturing date.

They therefore can't relate to any pressing/printing/manufacture dates because they were not being pressed 1980 through 1984, and certainly not at a rate of 1 copy a day (since the numbers are unique). There's so few of them around too that they clearly have come from a single production batch.

Though the numbers do appear to resemble a date format D M YY X(X), in the case of these records, it looks more like the number serves as a unique serial number.
    •  
    • Feb 11th 2017 edited

I think we can confidently dismiss this number as some form of date stamp, and in the process, (correctly) rewrite history.

The South African Let There Be Rock (green/purple) was *not* pressed in 1980 with a further reissue in 1982 - this is an urban myth that has come about through misinterpreting this number as a date stamp.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

This seller on eBay (our very own Corgs it would seem - good luck with the sale!) has 23 7 81 5 stamped on the sleeve.

[Link to eBay item]

Our forum member Inferno has 23 7 82 5. There's no way these were pressed on the same day one year apart.

Everything points towards this being a serial number, not a date stamp.

If anyone else here has this record, please let us know what number is stamped on the back of your copy.
    • Feb 12th 2017

Hmm Good point be interesting to find the reasoning and structure behind these numbers?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Singha
    • Feb 12th 2017

Posted By: bonlivesI think we can confidently dismiss this number as some form of date stamp, and in the process, (correctly) rewrite history.

The South African Let There Be Rock (green/purple) was *not* pressed in 1980 with a further reissue in 1982 - this is an urban myth that has come about through misinterpreting this number as a date stamp.

Exhibit A:

what I think,this numbers are layering numbers.
    every 10 records the press company put during this production time some metal plates (for cooling and hold the records plain,moisture from the labels is also a point for distortions).
    only a idea my from my side

Exhibit B:

This seller on eBay (our very own Corgs it would seem - good luck with the sale!) has 23 7 81 5 stamped on the sleeve.

[Link to eBay item]

Our forum member Inferno has 23 7 82 5. There's no way these were pressed on the same day one year apart.

Everything points towards this being a serial number, not a date stamp.

If anyone else here has this record, please let us know what number is stamped on the back of your copy.
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Feb 13th 2017

Mine has 23 7 81 5
    I never believed that this could be a date stamp as in South Africa they write dates in the opposite direction to the Uk
    I.e., in the U.K. 23/7/81 would be 23rd July 1981 but in South Africa that date would be written 81/7/23 and I don't see why a South African album would use a UK date format.
    Thanks for giving me a reason to get out my copy, it's a beautiful piece of artwork.
    • Feb 13th 2017

Posted By: tomscotlandI literally just passed up on one. I was offered two records and I could only buy one - I went with a copy of "Angus Hanger" as I've seen zero copies of this for sale recently but I've seen 2 or 3 SA LTBR's...

When digging out my LTBR I came across my Angus Hanger and it tugged at my heart strings to see Simon, Brian and Malcolm's autographs that I got in Manchester on 13th January 1986. Never thought at the time that they'd all become former band members.
    •  
    • Feb 13th 2017

Well there goes the unique number theory!
    • AC/DC rock music: fyfe79
    • Feb 13th 2017 edited

Is it not possible that the re-press (ie. the ones with numbers) are counterfeit/pirate versions?
    • Feb 13th 2017 edited

Oops!
    • Feb 13th 2017

Posted By: fyfe79Is it not possible that the re-press (ie. the ones with numbers) are counterfeit/pirate versions?

Cant speak for other but can confirm that mine is a genuine copy. I've got relatives in South Africa and just wish I'd have had the presence of mind to get them to pick up several copies when it was released. Hindsight eh?
    •  
    • Feb 13th 2017

Posted By: fyfe79Is it not possible that the re-press (ie. the ones with numbers) are counterfeit/pirate versions?

This seems highly unlikely for a number of reasons. Odds are low that everyone on this thread bought a counterfeit copy.
    •  
    • Feb 13th 2017 edited

Posted By: Goulash

just wish I'd have had the presence of mind to get them to pick up several copies when it was released. Hindsight eh?

Instead, take all the money you would have spent on those records in 1977 and put it in a major world stock market. You'd be a lot better off.
    Love the discussion that this started lol crazy how much mystery there is to these things.
    •  
    • Feb 14th 2017 edited

Definitely not counterfeits.

Benjy's recollection of how this release came into being doesn't support the reissue story.
    The reissue story seems to have come about because folk interpreted the numbers on the sleeve to be date stamps
    These numbers, based on all the available evidence, do not support the date stamp story - the numbers include '80' to '84', so they can't relate to years because this green/purple release was not being printed over the course of 5 years.

There's just not enough of these green/purple things in circulation to support any story other than Benjy's - ie this was a first release in limited quantities, replaced by the correctly coloured version.

Goulash - where/when did you acquire your copy? second hand or brand spanking new?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Feb 14th 2017

Are those debated numbers unique on only this SA LTBR? Or are they present at any other vinyl releases (misprint or not)
    •  
    • Feb 14th 2017

Never seen them on any other SA pressings. Benjy, the guy who claims to have created this masterpiece of misprinting, also can't explain the numbers.
    • Feb 14th 2017

Posted By: bonlives

Definitely not counterfeits.

Benjy's recollection of how this release came into being doesn't support the reissue story.
    The reissue story seems to have come about because folk interpreted the numbers on the sleeve to be date stamps
    These numbers, based on all the available evidence, do not support the date stamp story - the numbers include '80' to '84', so they can't relate to years because this green/purple release was not being printed over the course of 5 years.

There's just not enough of these green/purple things in circulation to support any story other than Benjy's - ie this was a first release in limited quantities, replaced by the correctly coloured version.

Goulash - where/when did you acquire your copy? second hand or brand spanking new?

Mine was 2nd hand. I was only 10 years old back in 1977 and hadn't even heard of AC/DC.
    A friend suggested that we're looking in the wrong place to conclude whether these are re-issues. We should look at the vinyl and check out the matrix numbers and labels. I'll check mine out tomorrow to see whether it''s A1/B1 or not.
    •  
    • Feb 14th 2017

Posted By: Goulash
    A friend suggested that we're looking in the wrong place to conclude whether these are re-issues. We should look at the vinyl and check out the matrix numbers and labels. I'll check mine out tomorrow to see whether it''s A1/B1 or not.

Mine says ATC 9671 A-1 and B-1. No other markings on runout.

• Feb 15th 2017

Mine's an A1/B1 pressing too.
    •  
    • Feb 20th 2017

This is kind of funny. Hadn't noticed this about the South African If You Want Blood release.

Interesting!? Quite the flub up there.
    Posted By: InfernoThis is kind of funny. Hadn't noticed this about the South African If You Want Blood release.

Jimmy Douglas credit too. They must have asked the wrong department. "What LP is this"? - "The Live one!!!"
    •  
    • Feb 21st 2017

They weren't totally wrong. We do know what happened with Whole Lotta Rosie.
    •  
    • Feb 21st 2017

More interestingness:

South African Back in Black

•  
    • Feb 21st 2017

Here's what I'm finding. If the album was printed by Interpak, it has the stamp. If it was printed by Artone Press, there is no stamp.