[ Sign In | Register ]

Usually when I put a post up with such a title I'm on a bit of a fishing expedtion just to see how many bites I can attract. However this time I'm being serious...honestly.
    I'm basing my thoughts on my recent trip to the old US of A (did I mention I went to see AC/DC in Denver?) and some thoughts and observations around my little adventure.
    Exhibit A - I have never seen a crowd with so many casuals in it. Most of the people there did not have a fucking clue about the Angus chant at the start of WLR (possibly one of the greatest riffs ever laid down). I'm not saying the crowd weren't into it but there was something lacking...like recognition!!
    Exhibit B - On the day of the gig you could still get tickets. This is not an islated incident. There are still tickets available to most gigs on this US arena leg. I would be prepared to make a heavy wager that if AC/DC did a 20 date arena tour of the UK alone every single arena would be sold out. Why are the American gigs not selling out? Ok, I get you don't like to travel over your own county line, so whats the excuse now?
    Exhibit C - RoB sold just 550,000 in the US. Sorry, but thats just shite. This is the land of FM rock stations and AC/DC can't at least sell 1 million of their long awaited follow up to the multi platinum selling Black Ice??? Taylor Swift and Adele are selling by the gazillion so its not down to the fact that people suddenly don't buy albums anymore.

I've always seen the US of A as AC/DC's natural stomping ground. But something has happened and AC/DC don't mean as much as they used to in the states.

So America, what is going on?
    It seems that you already have the answer ;)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Feb 16th 2016

Having been in a band hungry for success, there is very much a market out there for rock music. What has changed is, it is an underground movement now more than it is something mainstream (which is unfortunate, of course). But I know hundreds of talented musicians and bands who play gigs in basements, small clubs, etc. Recording EP after EP, releasing them for free, just because that's the nature of the business in America right now.

As far as the major, major acts, yes, there has been a rapid decrease. America will never see a rock act that gets to the size of, say, Bon Jovi or Springsteen ever again. Just how it is. But I would definitely not say it is dead...
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2016

And success is plausible. One of my best buddies is in a really popular underground band Modern Baseball (wouldn't call them underground anymore, they routinely sell out small theaters now in America and Europe). But they started in basements, and here he is headlining a day at a festival covering the Killers.

Rock music isn't dead in the US, but it's currently on life support. Hip hop (music and attitude) seems to have taken over the mainstream for a better part of a decade (at least). There's tons of indie rock, but nothing seems to be crossing over in a big way. IMO, rock music in North America hasn't been healthy since the mid-2000's.

Here's what won for best Rock Performance during last night's Grammys:

Can't believe that AC/DC's Rock Or Bust wasn't nominated in what was a very weak category.
    Posted By: jonalbaAnd success is plausible. One of my best buddies is in a really popular underground band Modern Baseball (wouldn't call them underground anymore, they routinely sell out small theaters now in America and Europe). But they started in basements, and here he is headlining a day at a festival covering the Killers.

Funny - my best friend is in love with Modern Baseball. Small world eh?
    Posted By: carlos fandangoU
    Exhibit C - RoB sold just 550,000 in the US. Sorry, but thats just shite. This is the land of FM rock stations and AC/DC can't at least sell 1 million of their long awaited follow up to the multi platinum selling Black Ice??? Taylor Swift and Adele are selling by the gazillion so its not down to the fact that people suddenly don't buy albums anymore.

Wow, it's almost like if you release an album with little to no marketing in a country where marketing is everything, the album sales might suffer
    Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: carlos fandangoU

Wow, it's almost like if you release an album with little to no marketing in a country where marketing is everything, the album sales might suffer

Spellbound makes a very good point. In America, it's all about the marketing. You also need to deliver the goods, but yeah, marketing and being able to think outside the box in this day and age are ESSENTIAL.
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2016

Posted By: jonalbaAnd success is plausible. One of my best buddies is in a really popular underground band Modern Baseball (wouldn't call them underground anymore, they routinely sell out small theaters now in America and Europe). But they started in basements, and here he is headlining a day at a festival covering the Killers.

Yeah dude. I was in a band with him in high school. He was in the right place at the right time and an acoustic duo needed a bassist to complete their new band Modern Baseball. The rest worked out...

But stories like his give me hope. Even though it's an underground/indie genre, it rocks and people invest in it (look at the crowd in that video). Rock n' roll as we know it with guys like AC/DC is on its last limbs in the U.S., but I do think rather than dying, it is evolving.
    Anyways, whether or not rock is dead depends on where on the spectrum your taste in rock lies.

If you like pop punk/alternative/nu metal, aka shit, that's all pretty big right now in the states. Particularly bands like Real Friends, Front Bottoms (who unfortantely, because of the friend previously mentioned, I have a guilty pleasure for), etc. etc. That's the sound that's "in" right now.

The rock music we've come to know and love is certainly dead. Once the big guys are done and gone, we will most likely never see a band inspired by them to reach the sky. That ship sailed in the early to mid 2000s.

If you like pop punk/alternative/nu metal, aka shit, that's all pretty big right now in the states.

You could have fooled me. Never heard of Real Friends, Front Bottoms or Modern Baseball. How many albums do they sell?
    In Denver they were selling tickets at the arena, night of the show?
    Posted By: jonalba

Yeah dude. I was in a band with him in high school. He was in the right place at the right time and an acoustic duo needed a bassist to complete their new band Modern Baseball. The rest worked out...

But stories like his give me hope. Even though it's an underground/indie genre, it rocks and people invest in it (look at the crowd in that video). Rock n' roll as we know it with guys like AC/DC is on its last limbs in the U.S., but I do think rather than dying, it is evolving.

The brand of rock we love is dying. Modern Baseball, as well as every other pop punk band, is a very far cry from the masculine, testosterone ridden rock n roll we all live by.
    One of the big problems with today's rock music is that there is no element of danger any more. All of the new bands are so fucking politically correct. Hip hop on the other hand...
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

If you like pop punk/alternative/nu metal, aka shit, that's all pretty big right now in the states.

You could have fooled me. Never heard of Real Friends, Front Bottoms or Modern Baseball. How many albums do they sell?

I guess I should clarify that for underground acts, they're pretty big among teenagers and adults in their early 20s.

I guess I should clarify that for underground acts, they're pretty big among teenagers and adults in their early 20s.

But that's the thing SB, there's always going to be an underground scene, but nowadays every band seems to be stuck in that scene or only becomes moderately successful. Where are the Nirvanas, the Soundgardens, the Guns N Roses, the Smashing Pumpkins, the White Stripes, the Hives of today?
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2016

Posted By: jonalba

The brand of rock we love is dying. Modern Baseball, as well as every other pop punk band, is a very far cry from the masculine, testosterone ridden rock n roll we all live by.

I agree, but I think there are elements that come from what we did love.

With that said, there are still some great hard rock bands out there.

These guys opened for the Foos when I saw them in July, and were fantastic.

But that's the thing SB, there's always going to be an underground scene, but nowadays every band seems to be stuck in that scene or becomes moderately successful. Where are the Nirvanas, the Smashing Pumpkins, the White Stripes, the Hives of today?

Dead and buried thankfully. Except for The Hives. :)
    • AC/DC rock music: TNTTLC
    • Feb 16th 2016

As for tickets being available on the day of the show - venues always hold back tickets and release them day of the show. So even if a show seems sold out, you can still usually get tickets day of the show because they release reserved seats that aren't needed, promo seats, etc.

But that's the thing SB, there's always going to be an underground scene, but nowadays every band seems to be stuck in that scene or becomes moderately successful. Where are the Nirvanas, the Smashing Pumpkins, the White Stripes, the Hives of today?

Dead and buried thankfully. Except for The Hives. :)

Would you rather see another Bon Jovi?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: MalGal
    • Feb 16th 2016

It used to be simple...Rock music... now, there is a whole alphabet of genres. Rock is still around, but only in certain areas of the U.S. Mainly college towns or the Northeast or Northwest? America is a large country and music is popular in whereever you grew-up in. Not always Rock.
    Sorry to break it to you, but The Hives are no different than a boy band in the way they were put together. Complete and total fabrication.
    I'll gladly listen to Bon Jovi over grunge. I can't stand it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: recimo
    • Feb 16th 2016

I think America got way more bands playing there over the years than in Europe for example and people have seen it all. Casuals probably don't want to see the same band over and over again. In Europe if it wasn't for festivals we wouldn't see that many bands because a majority is from America. And if it is Europe it's almost always big cities like Paris, London, Berlin etc. Eastern Europe doesn't get that much shows.
    In Zeltweg where there was around 115000 people on AC/DC gig I can bet that there was at least 30000 from Eastern Europe. Countless busses were going just from the city I came from...
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permSorry to break it to you, but The Hives are no different than a boy band in the way they were put together. Complete and total fabrication.

The difference between The Hives and other boy bands is that their music fucking rocks and that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Feb 16th 2016

The USA is rock music's natural stomping ground? That's news to me. The reason that AC/DC tour America is not because they feel like they're playing in the spiritual homeland of rock, but because there are a lot of people there, making touring the US a lucrative venture. If anything, AC/DC have been critical of the US over the years, particularly when it comes to their press and how their press has treated the band. As well as that, Angus has stated that Money Made is specifically about what he saw as the American attitude to putting money above all else, and Burnin' Alive was supposedly written about Malcolm's distaste over Waco.
    Posted By: SpellboundI'll gladly listen to Bon Jovi over grunge.

It seems like your meds need to be readjusted. :)

No, but seriously, Bon Jovi is a fucking TRAVESTY! BED OF FUCKING ROSES???? AGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted By: BrianyThe USA is rock music's natural stomping ground? That's news to me. The reason that AC/DC tour America is not because they feel like they're playing in the spiritual homeland of rock, but because there are a lot of people there, making touring the US a lucrative venture. If anything, AC/DC have been critical of the US over the years, particularly when it comes to their press and how their press has treated the band. As well as that, Angus has stated that Money Made is specifically about what he saw as the American attitude to putting money above all else, and Burnin' Alive was supposedly written about Malcolm's distaste over Waco.

Hell, Malcolm straight up hates America and it's people if a certain biography is to be believed. And Burnin' Alive was definitely written about Waco.

Posted By: SpellboundI'll gladly listen to Bon Jovi over grunge.

It seems like your meds to be readjusted. :)

No, but seriously, Bon Jovi is a fucking TRAVESTY! BED OF FUCKING ROSES???? AGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grunge is punk without the attitude and double the angst. If I wanted that I'd just wait for an amphetamine crash and mope around all night.
    Royal Blood would have been huge in the early 90's or even early 2000's. If they want to make it big in the US market, they might as well work with a hip hop producer on their next album. Maybe have Drake wright a single for them. How hard can it be to write another Hotline Bling?
    Posted By: jonalbaI agree, but I think there are elements that come from what we did love.

With that said, there are still some great hard rock bands out there.

These guys opened for the Foos when I saw them in July, and were fantastic.

Absolutely there are elements that come from what we love - that's how influence is passed down.

It's just been altered so much that it is not what I know and love and therefore i have trouble getting into most bands.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permHow hard can it be to write another Hotline Bling?

I dunno, we should ask the guys who originally wrote it

Grunge is punk without the attitude and double the angst. If I wanted that I'd just wait for an amphetamine crash and mope around all night.

Watch this my friend:
    Posted By: Spellbound<
    I dunno, we should ask the guys who originally wrote it

It would seem that George and Harry had access to some pretty pure cocaine back in the day.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: edu
    • Feb 16th 2016

For example, the Ramones are one of the best eamples of american rock music and the best for punk and their legacy seems to have vanished in New York and the rest of the country. I can see nobody is no longer interested in keepeng some material running like the typical thing: remasters, live fm broadcast releases (there are tons of them, I can tell you).

This year their first album is 40 and there is no media interest. People don't even mind about this band anymore. The only people that keep this alive are Mickey, Linda, CJ and Marky with less and less support. I love that band so much and it's so sad that their mark seems to have gone.

Maybe rock isn't dead in the US, but punk is really close to it.
    Not completely dead, but very close to it. One of my favorite local radio stations that played nothing but rock music for years recently changed to teeny pop shit. Like Michigan needs another pop/"variety" radio station. I haven't tuned in since.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Feb 16th 2016 edited

Posted By: carlos fandangoSorry, but thats just shite. This is the land of FM rock stations and AC/DC can't at least sell 1 million of their long awaited follow up to the multi platinum selling Black Ice???

To be fair, RoB sales were pretty good given the state of things nowadays. Also, Black Ice's insame amount of copies sold were thanks to the Walmart deal, it was all very bubble-ish.

And donĀ“t forget Black Ice came out after a loooong break touring and album wise.

All and all, I agree, rock music is not the selling machine it used to be. It will pick up though, as it always does, cause it will never die as long as a high school kid wants to fuck a chick and gets his hand on a guitar.

This little song sums it up perfectly:

Posted By: BrianyThe USA is rock music's natural stomping ground? That's news to me. The reason that AC/DC tour America is not because they feel like they're playing in the spiritual homeland of rock, but because there are a lot of people there, making touring the US a lucrative venture. If anything, AC/DC have been critical of the US over the years, particularly when it comes to their press and how their press has treated the band. As well as that, Angus has stated that Money Made is specifically about what he saw as the American attitude to putting money above all else, and Burnin' Alive was supposedly written about Malcolm's distaste over Waco.

The blues, rock n roll were born in the USA. Bands from the UK would spend huge amounts of their careers trying to crack the states from the 60's onwards and if they failed they were seen as failures. Nobody is more proud to be British than me but that is the truth.

However over the last 15 years rock music has decreased in importance in the US. Bands like Black Stone Cherry, Rival Sons, Blackberry Smoke whilst being American are far bigger this side of the pond. Surely that can't be right?

Not really into alternative rock, it sounds like music for bedwetters to my ears, however nothing seems to get past a certain stage in terms of popularity. Which is ok if you want your act of choice to remain niche but ultimately not great for their longevity or bank accounts.
    Using a song like Burnin Alive which was about one isolated incident to illustrate AC/DC's disdain of America is a bit bogus in my opinion. AC/DC spent, and continue to do so, a huge amount of time and effort to establish and maintain their success in America to say that they don't like the place.

And yes, tickets were available in Denver on the day and continue to be available on most of their other gigs stateside. Check their Instagram
    • AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Feb 16th 2016

Yes, rock music is dead in the United States. Young people don't care about rock music at all, it's all hip hop, pop, and other rubbish.
    Rock acts still pull in some touring revenue ... but once the last of the giants are gone (ACDC, Black Sabbath, Macca, etc) even that will be gone.
    Who are Macca?
    Paul McCartney
    Is that like an ACCA DACCA thing?
    I am in the same boat as Meanstreak. Once the Giants are out of the game, the smaller bands are screwed. There is a bit of an underground scene but it is nothing like what it use to be. As Spellbound said, really insane metal that I can't categorize is big in the States, but rock n roll is no more. Even thrash metal is shrinking. The only band that pulls people is Metallica.

There is a reason bands like the Rival Sons play only 5 states in America and than take their asses overseas.
    The categories you're looking for is anything ending in "core". Or, to lump them in one big collective genre - dogshit.

Watch this my friend:

Ramones does it better ;)
    My take.... 30 years ago growing up near Greensboro NC, there would be a huge band in concert every 3-4 weeks. Sometimes within days of each other. You could go to shows for $10 and go see anyone you wish. Over time, bands died out with no replacements to absorb their fans. If time we're not a factor, AC/DC, the Stones, Kiss, etc. could tour forever. Now everything is festivals, and bands who can pull a crowd charge big bucks. Everything has cycles, rock will be back. People always like sex,drinking,having a good time. We need another AC/DC to carry the torch.
    • AC/DC rock music: GoZone
    • Feb 16th 2016 edited

You have some of the most uneducated and unfactual posts in the history of his forum. How did you even come up with this rubbish of a post? Get a clue Richard.

I'm not even sticking up for the rock scene in US but damn, who the hell didn't have distaste over Waco? My o my
    • AC/DC rock music: GoZone
    • Feb 16th 2016

Hard rock and metal fans are in the minority now in USA but you will still get a loyal following at most concerts. You will never hear new hard rock and metal on FM radio. Sirius XM is where it is at for that. FM radio sucks.
    Pretty much dead and buried.

America has softened up on rock music.Katy Perry Rhianna Taylor Swift and so on
    have unfortunately taken over.I live in the metal capital of canada Edmonton.We had 58 000
    for ACDC.In a matter of months we had ACDC Motley Crue,coming up Sabbath Megadeath
    Maiden amongst others America has gone to pop and Rap.What happened to all the rockers in the
    USA?.We have around 35 million people and always out draw the US.Not good
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Feb 16th 2016

Posted By: Fred ZeppelinAmerica has softened up on rock music.Katy Perry Rhianna Taylor Swift and so on
    have unfortunately taken over.I live in the metal capital of canada Edmonton.We had 58 000
    for ACDC.In a matter of months we had ACDC Motley Crue,coming up Sabbath Megadeath
    Maiden amongst others America has gone to pop and Rap.What happened to all the rockers in the
    USA?.We have around 35 million people and always out draw the US.Not good

Well, they say Canada and Australia are about 10 years behind the U.S., so just wait a bit.