To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: JohnsonCity
    Posted By: WALKALLOVERGreat post. I found some new music I wasnt aware of and some I was aware of. The Darkness is a great band and I remember alot of ppl in the US liked them esp. the tone but when the singers voice went high in "I believe in a thing called love" ppl withdrew from it.

I wasn't aware The Darkness had any other songs than "I Believe in a Thing Called Love."

It's basically their "You Shook Me All Night Long" moment. Imagine if AC/DC was only known for YSMANL. It would be quite sad.
    They are for a lot of people...Mostly Americanos of course :)

Thunderstruck is probably AC/DC'smost recognizable song in North America. YSMANL is on par with BIB and HTH. Heck, even Hells Bells is as recognizable as You Shook Me to casuals.

No, the most recognizable song in America is "You Shook Me." Like it or not, it's the AC/DC equivalent of "Satisfaction."
    It used to be the case. But amongst Millennials, TS is just as recognisable if not more so. YSMALN has basically achieved golden oldie status with the younger crowd.
    On the popularity of The Darkness- there aren't a whole lot of bands and songs that I hear that makes me say "WOW" anymore.

"I Believe in a Thing Called Love" was one of those songs.

And when I would hear the song played at high school sporting events and such, I thought maybe, just maybe, real, good rock might come back.

But I then saw the band attacked, much like Beavis and Butthead attacked certain bands.

My great image of "The Darkness" was commercial for American Idol (not that I ever watched a single episode, but you couldn't miss the promos) where a singer with the appearance of Meat Loaf tried to sing "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" and the panel of judges just cringed.

After that, I knew they were toast.

Unfair and uncalled for. But at that point following "The Darkness" wasn't like following "Nickelback," it was like following "Weird Al Yankovic."
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permIt used to be the case. But amongst Millennials, TS is just as recognisable if not more so. YSMALN has basically achieved golden oldie status with the younger crowd.

I know where you're going with that, but it also asks us to believe that if true, the millennial opinion outweighs the accepted norms of two generations.
    Some Swedish lads have clearly listened to their "Rockin' In The Parlour" singles...

• AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Apr 15th 2017

Posted By: JohnsonCityOn the popularity of The Darkness- there aren't a whole lot of bands and songs that I hear that makes me say "WOW" anymore.

"I Believe in a Thing Called Love" was one of those songs.

And when I would hear the song played at high school sporting events and such, I thought maybe, just maybe, real, good rock might come back.

But I then saw the band attacked, much like Beavis and Butthead attacked certain bands.

My great image of "The Darkness" was commercial for American Idol (not that I ever watched a single episode, but you couldn't miss the promos) where a singer with the appearance of Meat Loaf tried to sing "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" and the panel of judges just cringed.

After that, I knew they were toast.

Unfair and uncalled for. But at that point following "The Darkness" wasn't like following "Nickelback," it was like following "Weird Al Yankovic."

What did for the Darkness was following up a brilliant debut with a less than stellar record right at the same time as the band were locking horns and letting previous success go to their heads. I Believe In A Thing Called Live isn't leaving your average wedding DJ's setlist anytime soon though.
    Posted By: AccaDaccaFan99Some Swedish lads have clearly listened to their "Rockin' In The Parlour" singles...

https://youtu.be/SJT...

Never heard of them before. Actually quite good.
    Opinions are like assholes everybody has one but IMO all these no-name/C-list bands suck (other than Angel City). There is no replacement for AC/DC, as it should be. Go find other bands you like without reference to, or hoping to replace, AccaDacca.
    Obviously, gotta look at Aussie rock scene first if you want AC/DC influenced sound:

The Angels (Angel City) - all albums up to Skin & Bone (1998) are worth checking:

Rose Tattoo (Mick Cocks = rhythm guitarist, same league as Malcolm Young) - at least first 3 albums released by Alberts (even 4th one, although times were changing):

Surprised that no one mentioned HEAVEN:

Few skips in this one, but great track, their last song, recorded cca 1999

BOSS (Step on It album from 1984, if you can stand drum machine ofc, what a retarded idea):

pre-album single with real drummer

Tough Luxury:

Kings of the Sun (not really AC/DC copycats, but definitely that Aussie raw sound is there) - first three albums are compulsory:

The Poor (formerly known as The Poor Boys) - their debut is worth checking out:

The Young family member on drums...

The Casanovas (debut album at least - more original than Airbourne if you ask me):

Bonus... these guys are no longer active as far as I know

UK:
    apart from Starfighters, there is Waysted (first three records):

Switzerland:
    Not only Krokus, but also a band called Killer (first two albums):

USA:
    Dirty Looks (look for their first three albums, pre-Atlantic Records releases):

Rhino Bucket:

The Upper Crust:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Apr 16th 2017

The Donnas
    Try out these guys from Finland, my home country:

I actually had a few beers with "Twist Twist" (the drummer) in the weekend, what a great guy and truly a badass player. I'd even compare him to The Almighty Rudd - and I'm not exaggerating, that groove just grabs you from the balls. He's actually quite a legendary drummer up here, having played in several popular Finnish rock bands since the early 1980s.
    Exodus