To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Having been a fan for a while now, I sometimes find myself wanting to get an AC/DC fix, but I can't because I've already played all the albums to death and haven't waited long enough before playing them again.

So what else is out there that sounds like AC/DC?

Krokus - pretty good
    Airbourne - Runnin' Wild album is good, but after that I find them a bit generic and the vocals go downhill
    Rhino Bucket - know the name but have never heard them

Here's a couple of good bands I recently found out about.

Kix - some of their stuff is closer to hair metal, but they also did some really good AC/DC influenced tracks, like this:

Helix - again, some of their stuff is closer to hair metal or heavy metal, but they did some good AC/DC ish tracks like this

Have you got any others?
    Rhino Bucket are really good. Give them a listen. The solo guitarist of Kix plays in Rhino Bucket.

Some good drumming by Simon Wright:

• AC/DC rock music: Meltdown
    • Feb 1st 2016

The only mini-AC/DC bands I know are Airbourne and Rhino Bucket, but they have been cited already...

So... I think Rose Tattoo and The Cult are great examples of bands that do an AC/DC kind of music without being just a copy (you should probably have heard of them already). Anyway:

•  
      AC/DC rock music: recimo
    • Feb 1st 2016

The Cult Electric album is mainly influenced by AC/DC but I don't hear AC/DC in their other stuff... It's rock'n'roll and for me they are very original band with that spiritual aproach. Certainly one of my favorite bands.

Posted By: Meltdownbands that do an AC/DC kind of music without being just a copy

Yes, definitely interested in those as well.
    77 sounds incredibly similar to the early stuff. Their first album for sure. Their lead player sounds like he learned to play by angus himself. Give them a listen
    I'm a big fan of Buckcherry, Their first album , Buckcherry is great,Timebomb and 15 are my faves give em a go.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Riekuzz
    • Feb 2nd 2016

Airbourne
    Rhino bucket
    Hardbone
    The deep end
    AB/CD
    The black aces
    Krokus
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Feb 2nd 2016

Couple of others...

The Casanovas
    Junkyard
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Feb 2nd 2016 edited

Saw these guys by accident at a small festival. Man they had such a satisfying tone and drive.

Say hello to Bon and Riff Raff/WLR:

• AC/DC rock music: Richraff
    • Feb 2nd 2016

• AC/DC rock music: Meltdown
    • Feb 2nd 2016

Love KIX they're a solid band, check out the new album if you haven't Shoot, one song on there is borderline What's Next To The Moon but it still kicks ass.
    Also, Bonafide:

•  
    • Feb 2nd 2016

Anyone remember these aussies? Enjoyed their first album

And The Four Horsemen:

•  
    • Feb 2nd 2016

And these dudes from New Zealand. Great riff.

•  
    • Feb 2nd 2016

Posted By: MeanstreakAnd The Four Horsemen:

Or even better:

Also, a band called Cinderella.
    Posted By: MeanstreakAlso, a band called Cinderella.

The Amorettes an all girl group from Edinburgh in Scotland, they almost sound like a Airbourne rip off but it has to be said they do it well.

• AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Feb 2nd 2016

Dirty Looks ... if you're going to copy AC DC , these guys did it right.

• AC/DC rock music: wedgeg
    • Feb 2nd 2016

•  
      AC/DC rock music: JW147
    • Feb 2nd 2016

There is so much good music, but if you want some DC there's really no substitute. The only hard rock or R n'R band I listen to really, except maybe the stones. I started listening to DC around the time of TRE and for years it was the only band I could stand. Since then I've become acquainted with so much music, everything from Coltrane through Morricone to Cocteau twins, but DC is still relevant and special to me. Trying to find a band that does the same thing, or something similar, always ends with disappointment I'm afraid.
    There is a very important band missing from this thread.

Thanks all. Some really good stuff here.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Feb 3rd 2016

Posted By: Thunderstruck

I can't stand this song. Heard it on the radio a few months ago and It is beyond retarded. Lol

I like other stuff by Jackyl though.
    LOL @ The Phil Rudd post!!!!
    Gonna bump this one time in case anyone has anything else.
    Posted By: ThankassSaw these guys by accident at a small festival. Man they had such a satisfying tone and drive.

Say hello to Bon and Riff Raff/WLR:

holy shit, thats awesome.
    @BT: I've always had a soft spot for Down On Me. Good choice.
    Here's my brief analysis of the most popular AC/DC influenced bands:

Airbourne (rocks like hell)

'77 (the first three albums - "21st Century Rock", "High Decibels" and "Maximum Rock 'n' Roll" - rock like hell, but the newest one, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us", sucks)

42 Decibel (the album "Hard Rock 'n' Roll" rocks like hell)

Krokus (the albums "One Vice At A Time", "Rock The Block", "Hoodoo" and "Dirty Dynamite" rock like hell, and the live albums "Fire And Gasoline" and "Long Stick Goes Boom - Live From Da House Of Rust" are great, too)

Hardbone (rocks like hell)

Dirty Looks (rocks like hell)

Big Ball (doesn't exist anymore, but for the most part rocked like hell)

Cruizzen (at best rocks like hell)

Sideburn (there are two bands of the same name - the death metal band from Sweden sounds like shit and doesn't rock at all, while the 100% pure no-nonsense in-your-face rock 'n' roll band from Switzerland sounds like AC/DC and rocks like hell)

AB/CD (sometimes rocks like hell, sometimes sucks ass)

Rhino Bucket (the albums "Rhino Bucket", "Get Used To It", "And Then It Got Ugly" and "No Song Left Behind" rock like hell, and the singer is half-Finnish - whoopee!)

Rose Tattoo (while their material isn't/wasn't meant to sound anything like AC/DC, you can't help being from Australia and rocking like hell)

Bonafide (AC/DC meets almost every other classic rock band there's ever been - do I have to say the band rocks like hell? It doesn't even matter that they're from Sweden!)

Jackyl (for the most part these guys don't sound that much like AC/DC, but when they do, they rock like hell)

Black Aces (rocks like hell)

Dynamite (rocks like H-E-L-L)

Sticky Boys (used to rock like hell, but by their second album they turned into a punk band and nowadays their music is pure garbage - a terrible shame indeed, as their AC/DC-esque stuff sounds fucking awesome)
    Cinderella and Dirty Looks were very much influenced by AC/DC. Tom Keifer wanted to be Brian Johnson, Henrik Ostergaard wanted to be Bon Scott, and there's no two ways about it.

The song "Oh, Ruby" by Dirty Looks is so much of a clone of "Go Down" I don't know why AC/DC didn't get on the phone with their lawyer:

Shake Me by Cinderella was clearly a take off of "You Shook Me All Night Long." The way they sing "all" in the chorus is exactly the same.

Speaking of exactly the same, the lead in of this song, which was in the movie "Wayne's World," is almost exactly like the lead to "Ain't No Fun Waitin' Round to be a Millionaire."

• AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • May 8th 2016

Rubin produced Cult ...
    Of course, if Cinderella wanted to be AC/DC, then Britny Fox wanted to be Cinderella. I'll let you find Britny Fox on your own.

Other notes-

AB/CD is Brian Johnson's favorite AC/DC tribute band.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Hayseed Dixie, whom Cliff Williams has sat in with:

The two bands over the years that have taken the title of "sounding like AC/DC" the most have probably been Kix and Rhino Bucket, but in recent times I think Airborne has got to take the cake.

Still, Steve Whiteman REALLY sounds like Bon Scott in this song:

Supposedly, even in their prime when they received major airplay on MTV, their albums were in every record store, Chuck Eddy was raving about them and they constantly toured, the members of Kix never made more than $500 a week.

I think Brian Damage actually left music to paint houses he was so broke.
    Final question- do you think The Dogs D'Amour sounded like AC/DC? It's been said their singer Tyla had the grit of Bon Scott in his voice, and I agree.

I tend to find "AC/DC influenced" bands hard to listen to.
    I see a couple of songs have been posted by the fabulous Four Horsemen but this is my favourite of them all and always ends up on a mix CD if i'm recommending bands to anyone. Just fucking love when the tempo kicks up at about 2.50min

Nashville Pussy is awesome.
    High As Hell is my favorite album by them, and they're incredible live. Ruyter Suys is amazing.

• AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 10th 2016

Posted By: BallToucherI tend to find "AC/DC influenced" bands hard to listen to.

Yeah, me too. There's very few I like. Gluecifer were great on their first three or so albums. 42 Decibel is good. But the likes of Rhino Bucket, Airbourne, 77, Krokus are really not my cup of tea and I find 'em pretty annoying acutally.
    •  
    • May 10th 2016

Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: BallToucherI tend to find "AC/DC influenced" bands hard to listen to.

Yeah, me too. There's very few I like. Gluecifer were great on their first three or so albums. 42 Decibel is good. But the likes of Rhino Bucket, Airbourne, 77, Krokus are really not my cup of tea and I find 'em pretty annoying acutally.
    Because most of them don't got the tone and the groove. That's ac/dc's secret. Almost no one can match that. If you don't have that it will result in ordinary hardrock.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 10th 2016

Posted By: Thankass

Because most of them don't got the tone and the groove. That's ac/dc's secret. Almost no one can match that. If you don't have that it will result in ordinary hardrock.

Yeah, that plays into it for sure. Plus they hardly ever have a decent singer.
    •  
    • May 10th 2016

Posted By: Thankass

Yeah, that plays into it for sure. Plus they hardly ever have a decent singer.
    Screamers, most of the time. No soul.