To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

•  
      AC/DC rock music: edu
    • Dec 3rd 2015

LET THERE BE ROCK

Production: Harry Vanda & George Young

Contributing musicians: Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Bon Scott, Mark Evans, Phil Rudd

Label: Albert (Aus), ATCO

Release Date:

March 21, 1977 (Aus)
    July 25, 1977 (Int)

Tracklist (Aus):

1 Go Down
    2 Dog Eat Dog
    3 Let There Be Rock
    4 Bad Boy Boogie
    5 Overdose
    6 Crabsody In Blue
    7 Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be
    8 Whole Lotta Rosie

Tracklist (Int):

1 Go Down
    2 Dog Eat Dog
    3 Let There Be Rock
    4 Bad Boy Boogie
    5 Problem Child
    6 Overdose
    8 Whole Lotta Rosie

What are your thoughts on this album?
    To me it's their best album. That's what I have though lately, anyways.
    Great album, I prefer PC on there... I know, it's been beaten to death, but too me, it fits.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Dec 3rd 2015

First album i ever heard of them (the uk vinyl version with Crabsody). I fell in love with it immediately and it is still for me the definitive ac/dc album and sound.
    • AC/DC rock music: FC
    • Dec 3rd 2015 edited

It didn't have Problem Child in the European version at first (since DDDDC WAS released in Europe in 1976) :

And I much, MUCH prefer it with Crabsody In Blue. Problem Child sticks out like a sore thumb. Different guitar tone, different feel, doesn't match the whole vibe of the album.

I think this album is AC/DC's way of saying that they MEANT business. Many people point out how "tinny" or "trebly" this album sounds, but has ANYBODY EVER replicated that guitar tone on a studio album? It's the tone of the gods. They also seem pissed - I mean, even CIB, the "comedy" song in here, is so damn BITTER that you go YIKES...Go Down doesn't seem like Bon wanna be sucked by the chick because he's horny, but because he's ANGRY.

There's really not much to say about this album. BBB, LTBR, WLR, HAABPTB, Dog Eat Dog, all fuckin' classics and staples in their shows. (even Dog Eat Dog is now. I mean come on. You can't argue with that.) What else? Oh...Overdose...as hypnotic and murderous as its title implies and the solo man, THE SOLO...fuck, Ang delievers SO MUCH on that one that it's trance-inducing. Go Down is noteworthy that that little chord change on what seemingly is a one note riff just proves that Mal and Ang are geniuses. I dunno what the hey is that lil change (maybe it's something simple, but regardless) but it's GENIUS - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bon's words can't be matched. (Powerage has better lyrical moments, but man, if the guy penned Let There Be Rock only and that was it, I'd still deem him as a fuckin' master wordsmith)

And both covers RULE. The OZ gets the point across even more effectively, but still, both are images imprinted in our minds forever.

Let there be fuckin' rock.

Edit: totally agree with Meanstreak and Thankass.

Now if you excuse me, I gotta listen to it.
    I want to like the guitar sound, but I just don't.

The songs are fucking rippers and the fact that there's no live version of Go Down or Overdose from the 70s is absolutely fucking criminal.
    • AC/DC rock music: Jailbreak
    • Dec 3rd 2015 edited

Angus is on fire on this one, every guitar solo is KILLER.
    The best album from the raw era.
    • AC/DC rock music: ACDCnut
    • Dec 3rd 2015

I put this in my top three all time albums, it is a killer. Some of the best guitar work we will ever see from Angus.

I mean, seriously, LTBR , HAABPTB and WLR all on one album, nothing , and nobody has achieved anything like that level of Rock and Roll before or since.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Dec 3rd 2015

Their best. A guitar sound that has never been replicated. Every one involved went into the studio with a "fuck it" attitude and just let it rip. Blows my mind every time I listen. This IS Rock n' Roll.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Dec 3rd 2015

I marvel at the guitar tone every time I listen. Could only aspire to get a sound that raw.
    This album was their first big step from pub style rock 12 bar blues shuffles ,to really refining that groove and big sound.When I put on DDDDC , then LTBR , I can hear the boys getting tighter and musically and lyrically more mature.BBB ,LTBR and HAABPTB are my favourites .
    • AC/DC rock music: brechin
    • Dec 4th 2015

In my book, how electric guitars should sound in a studio setting. Raw and angry. They really raised the bar with this album.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rosie78
    • Dec 4th 2015

The Holy Grail, plain and simple.
    A shame they only did 8 tracks, should have been a couple more, especially considering this is their
    absolute peak period, professionally.
    • AC/DC rock music: Malcolm32
    • Dec 4th 2015 edited

To be honest I don`t like so much the sound of this album. Quite different to the others to me. The songs are pretty good but the sound... In this aspect the DDDDC or HV are far better.
    Their defining album. Always.
    Back In Black was bigger, it wasn't better.
    I know some - many - will disagree but in the ferocity of attack i hear a band who've been exposed to a year of burgeoning punk rock in London. All the 'friendliness' of DDDDC is banished with a vengeance - I hear the Pistols and the Ramones in that specific influence, even ifs more stylistic than content.
    Posted By: Rosie78The Holy Grail, plain and simple.
    A shame they only did 8 tracks, should have been a couple more, especially considering this is their
    absolute peak period, professionally.

I'd argue that the peak carries over to PA - it's their Revolver/Pepper - Twin Peaks :)
    Posted By: eduLET THERE BE ROCK

Production: Harry Vanda & George Young

Contributing musicians: Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Bon Scott, Mark Evans, Phil Rudd

Label: Albert (Aus), ATCO

Release Date:

March 21, 1977 (Aus)
    July 25, 1977 (Int)

Tracklist (Aus):

1 Go Down
    2 Dog Eat Dog
    3 Let There Be Rock
    4 Bad Boy Boogie
    5 Overdose
    6 Crabsody In Blue
    8 Whole Lotta Rosie

Tracklist (Int):

1 Go Down
    2 Dog Eat Dog
    3 Let There Be Rock
    4 Bad Boy Boogie
    5 Problem Child
    6 Overdose
    8 Whole Lotta Rosie

What are your thoughts on this album?

The Aussie version has the better songlist
    The int. version has the better album cover.
    Consider this- there is only one remaining member from the LTBR era.
    Brilliant album btw...even with out of tune guitars
    Posted By: carlos fandangoConsider this- there is only one remaining member from the LTBR era.
    Brilliant album btw...even with out of tune guitars

Mark Evans talks about HAABPTB being the worst offender in his book (or somewhere) - I genuinely can't hear it myself - too many Ramones gigs in my youth, I fear.
    Posted By: AC/DCfansince97The Aussie version has the better songlist
    The int. version has the better album cover.

You do realize that the European version has both. (Aussie tracklist and int album cover.)
    • AC/DC rock music: wizza
    • Dec 7th 2015

Just had it on then fucking great album
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Dec 8th 2015

The greatest studio album ever made and an absolute beast to boot. Over here we got the Aussie version on vinyl rather than the messed around Int one. I know CiB is an unpopular song with many but for me it just works and it sure fits in better than PC, which is a standout track on DDDDC but it just comes across as weak and flimsy on LTBR. CiB injects some classic Bon mirth into the album, and is a terrific blues number. If Bon had sung about a woman doing him wrong to the tune you'd all fucking rave about it for sure.

To me LTBR just sounds like a live album played to no audience. It's an incredible album alive with crackle and fizz, containing some of the most ball blistering songs you will ever hear.

Musical perfection to my ears.
    •  
    • Dec 8th 2015

^couldn't say it any better.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Dec 8th 2015

Posted By: Thankass^couldn't say it any better.

That's why they pay me the big bucks ;)
    Their best. My favourite AC/DC album, with Powerage coming second only by the skin of the teeth. The first DC album I regularly listened to as a kid - turned all the way up to 10 (thx dad).

And along with Powerage my most favourite AC/DC guitar tone. Sonic heaven. The way a hard rock band should sound. Anyone who says that metal is heavy, fu┬ęk off with that shit. This is heavy! The best hard rock crunch ever. No compromises, raw as hell, like big eff off to the whole music industry and their "standards." HTH and BIB guitar sound is too sleek.

Like someone said before, their peak from the "raw era" of the first 5 studio albums. I might admit that Powerage is maybe technically better recorded, thanks to joint forces of Vanda&Young&Opitz and Mark Opitz's genius as an audio engineer.

No filler on this album. I am used to Problem Child version, but even Crabsody is a solid bluesy number.

As I said once to Brian Forsythe of KIX and Rhino Bucket fame: "If there came aliens for a visit to planet Earth and asked: 'What is hard rock?', LTBR is the album I would put on for them."

P.S. Georg Dolivo of Rhino Bucket said once in an interview that it is always LTBR vs PWRG battle regarding the favourite AC/DC album - he and Brian are in LTBR camp and Reeve (bass player) and band's drummer at that time were in PWRG camp.
    • AC/DC rock music: GShootin
    • Dec 9th 2015

Second only to the mighty Powerage

Both versions pure killer
    The album is better without Crapsody In Blue. Although I enjoy the song, it is isn't on par with the rest of the offerings. The album, sans Crap, is one for the ages.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • Dec 10th 2015

Second best after "Powerage" for me. The Aussie version of "LTBR" is the better one.
    • AC/DC rock music: trock
    • Dec 10th 2015

the out solo on Whole Lotta Rosie is one of the most insane things I have ever heard

He has never really come close in any live versions i have heard and I would have loved to have been in the studio that day to witness that

Epic!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DC/79
    • Dec 10th 2015

Posted By: reillylivesThe album is better without Crapsody In Blue. Although I enjoy the song, it is isn't on par with the rest of the offerings. The album, sans Crap, is one for the ages.

The album is incomplete without Crabsody. it is a whole thing....don't cut off a finger for the sake of your hand!
    •  
    • Dec 11th 2015

Absolutely right DC. CIB goes with the flow and the tone. And a much underrated blues.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 56Century
    • Dec 11th 2015

The PC version doesn't count
    I could never understand why Overdose has always been totally ignored by the band.Absolute tragedy it was never played live.Would have made a killer opening track, much like Live Wire previously,slow build up then boom into that driving riff,that would hit you like a punch in the guts,especially at gig volume.
    •  
    • Dec 11th 2015

Posted By: white FalconI could never understand why Overdose has always been totally ignored by the band.Absolute tragedy it was never played live.Would have made a killer opening track, much like Live Wire previously,slow build up then boom into that driving riff,that would hit you like a punch in the guts,especially at gig volume.

18,000 views.

Posted By: edu

Does anyone actually like this cover?
    A six fingered guitar player. What is there not to like?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: edu
    • Dec 11th 2015

I do.
    I quite like it.
    •  
    • Dec 11th 2015

I like it far better than the other one, completely sums up what the album is all about in one image. They could have picked better images of the band on stage
    than the one choosen for the international cover imo.
    •  
    • Dec 11th 2015 edited

Which guitar players fingers are depicted by the way? It's not Angus if I remember correctly.
    Some australian guy.
    •  
    • Dec 11th 2015

Posted By: Rosie78Which guitar players fingers are depicted by the way? It's not Angus if I remember correctly.
    Some australian guy.

Chris Turner. Some Aussie guitar player...I know nothing more!
    Love the album, not a fan of Crabsody In Blue but it does belong there more so than Problem Child.

Love PC,but on Dirty Deeds.

This album is pure rock and roll, alongside Powerage.

As far as album covers go, I much prefer the international version over the sausage fingers.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: edu

Does anyone actually like this cover?

Just think, if the record company went with the original Aussie version with CIB as the international release, the iconic AC/DC logo would not have seen the light of day as it would have never been commissioned!I still prefer the original.
    Posted By: DC/79
    Posted By: white FalconI could never understand why Overdose has always been totally ignored by the band.Absolute tragedy it was never played live.Would have made a killer opening track, much like Live Wire previously,slow build up then boom into that driving riff,that would hit you like a punch in the guts,especially at gig volume.

18,000 views.

Thanks for posting that clip.Backs up my statement,tragic it was never played live by AC/DC
    •  
    • Dec 12th 2015

Posted By: nitroangus23

As far as album covers go, I much prefer the international version over the sausage fingers.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 56Century
    • Dec 12th 2015

I prefer the sausage fingers cover, mainly for the gatefold shots

Chris Turner is not just "some" Aussie guitar player :) More info here:

http://rockonvinyl.b...

And "sausage fingers" in action:

•  
    • Dec 12th 2015

Posted By: currentpeak

Chris Turner is not just "some" Aussie guitar player :) More info here:

http://rockonvinyl.b...

And "sausage fingers" in action:

He is to me!
    Haha, don't take it too personally. I just wanted to say, that it wasn't some average player.