To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: gunforhire
    • Sep 18th 2015 edited

At some point in 1992/1993, Live at Donington was released in cinemas to promote the VHS.
    Here's the proof I have:
    From ebay:

From BBFC website (the 'Film' under TYPE OF MEDIA shows that it's a cinema release):

1) Did anyone on this forum see it in cinemas?
    2) Did it only get a cinema release in the UK?

I'm pretty curious to learn more about it as the Internet doesn't have much about this on it. AFAIK, this and LTBR (in America, which Dave Grohl said he saw in theatres and was what got him into rock) are the only AC/DC concert cinema releases.
    Your eBay photo just shows some kind of truck accessory.

Edit: That's better.
    Mati saw River Plate in theaters, it got a limited release.
    Yep, I saw this in Birmingham - can't remember the cinema's name now, sorry but I think it was in the street where most of the theatres are in Brum. There was a quiz on BBC Radio 1 with Tommy Vance who gave out questions along the lines of 'What Voltage?'... Also got to see RP at Hammersmith.
    Posted By: nitroangus23Mati saw River Plate in theaters, it got a limited release.

It wasn't in a theatre, it was in a small venue were bands usually play, they just put a projector and screened the blu ray.

BTW, I didn't know David Mallet directed Live At Donington!
    Really? lol I thought it was a theatrical thing, it was before the Blu ray was out wasn't it??

You saw it way before we did In the states I know that.
    Posted By: Synthetic HermitYour eBay photo just shows some kind of truck accessory.

It should show a set of tickets; I've fixed it now.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 19th 2015

It was in cinema's in various countries in Europe. You had to win tickets via a radio quiz. In the Netherlands it was shown in the 013 theatre in Tilburg in the fall of '92. I didn't win tickets unfortunately..
    Sure must have been a blast with volume on 12 in a little theatre.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Sep 19th 2015

spelt DONINGTON wrong
    • AC/DC rock music: Raff
    • Sep 19th 2015

In Germany it was also in cinemas in different cities.
    I went to Glasgow cinema to see it
    • AC/DC rock music: GShootin
    • Sep 19th 2015

Posted By: RockNRoll DalmationYep, I saw this in Birmingham

same here. it was just a one off screening to promote the commercial release. nothing special

you'd have thought the Hatfield cinema people would have at least spelt Donington correctly
    Posted By: nitroangus23Really? lol I thought it was a theatrical thing, it was before the Blu ray was out wasn't it??

You saw it way before we did In the states I know that.

Yup, it was a special avant premiere. Did this to get tickets:

Missed Live at Donny' as it was not shown over here but did get to see the premiere of LARP in London with band (minus PR) in attendance.
    •  
    • Sep 21st 2015 edited

Posted By: Shea_AngusMissed Live at Donny' as it was not shown over here but did get to see the premiere of LARP in London with band (minus PR) in attendance.
    Cool. It seemed that they took their seats among the fans. Is that correct? Was there some interaction possible during or after the showing or did they leave after a few songs?
    • AC/DC rock music: ACDCnut
    • Sep 21st 2015

Yep, I won two tickets to see it in London, local radio station was giving away free tickets. Was just a showing, no band members were there.

Posted By: gunforhireAt some point in 1992/1993, Live at Donington was released in cinemas to promote the VHS.
    Here's the proof I have:

I'm pretty curious to learn more about it as the Internet doesn't have much about this on it. AFAIK, this and LTBR (in America, which Dave Grohl said he saw in theatres and was what got him into rock) are the only AC/DC concert cinema releases.
    Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: Shea_AngusMissed Live at Donny' as it was not shown over here but did get to see the premiere of LARP in London with band (minus PR) in attendance.
    Cool. It seemed that they took their seats among the fans. Is that correct? Was there some interaction possible during or after the showing or did they leave after a few songs?

They came on stage stage beforehand to loud applause, then took their seats in the crowd. I think they left after a few songs. Also Ozzy was on the big screen before the start too, crazy as usual. Anyway it was great to see it on the big screen!
    Posted By: ACDCnutYep, I won two tickets to see it in London, local radio station was giving away free tickets. Was just a showing, no band members were there.

Posted By: gunforhireAt some point in 1992/1993, Live at Donington was released in cinemas to promote the VHS.
    Here's the proof I have:

Where did you watch it?
    I remember seeing this report on TV when it aired:
    •  
    • Sep 21st 2015

Posted By: Shea_Angus
    Posted By: Thankass

They came on stage stage beforehand to loud applause, then took their seats in the crowd. I think they left after a few songs. Also Ozzy was on the big screen before the start too, crazy as usual. Anyway it was great to see it on the big screen!
    Yeah, loved the video of it.

• AC/DC rock music: ACDCnut
    • Sep 21st 2015

http://www.acdcfans....

Posted By: Shea_Angus
    Posted By: ACDCnutYep, I won two tickets to see it in London, local radio station was giving away free tickets. Was just a showing, no band members were there.

Here's the proof I have:

Where did you watch it?
    Sorry, I just chose one Donington thread to ask this:

I love the commentary track they did - I have lost my DVD somewhere and can't find it thus can't listen to it. Have not found it on YouTube either, any ideas where the commentary track is online?

Great track, remember this controversial gem:

"Chris Slade is the best musician the band has ever had" - Malcolm Young
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • May 13th 2019

Yes saw it in Derby cinema .
    Saw it in a cinema in Sheffield after winning tickets on a local radio station. Was right down the front that day so it’s great to have a nice memento to look back on.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • May 13th 2019

Posted By: CliffFINmark2Great track, remember this controversial gem:

Chris Slade isn't mentioned during the commentary track on anywhere else on the DVD.
    Posted By: Grim177
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2Great track, remember this controversial gem:

Chris Slade isn't mentioned during the commentary track on anywhere else on the DVD.

It was there. Mal said that, and as I recall, it was there
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • May 13th 2019

Posted By: CliffFINmark2It was there. Mal said that, and as I recall, it was there

As I recall the quote was "He's a perfect drummer. Probably a better musician than any of us" and I would imagine it came from a interview around the mid-90's when Phil came back, rather than the 8 or 9 years later when the "commentary" track was likely recorded for the DVD release.
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • May 13th 2019

The Donington video was premiered at the Odeon in Leicester Square, in London. The pass for the screening is in the top right of this photo.

It then was shown at cinemas across the U.K.
    I also went to see it at the Odeon in Warrington.
    You gotta do a stubs/concert memorabilia post Goulash, lots of neat stuff in that one photo alone ^!

Edit: Holy Typos Batman
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • May 13th 2019

Posted By: flattusmaximusYou gotta do a stubs/concert memorabilia post Goulash, slots of nest stuff in that one photo alone ^!

Thanks mate. I still have all 140 ticket stubs from the AC/DC shows that I went to :-)
    Won tickets and went to the Odeon in Glasgow to see it
    Wow Goulash! That is totally awesome!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • May 14th 2019 edited

balls to the movie...I WAS THERE !!!

100-5954
    100-5955
    100-5962

100-6185
    upload image files